Clinton Emil McElroy, Jr. is the father of Justin, Travis, and Griffin McElroy. He does the Adventure Zone podcast with them and has also appeared on several Maximum Fun donors-only bonus episodes.
He is not just a dad.
He is The Ultimate DILF.
Yes, he is also your dad.
Clint is always Dad. He has never not been a dad. He emerged from the womb to the sound of glorious angels with his lovely grey beard and a #1 dad mug and three kids. And a mysterious other child that no one knows of. Not even he.....
It is you. The child is you.
The early life header is for you. For you must learn of yourself to truly ascend.
Clint has a tattoo of the Triforce from The Legend of Zelda on his right shoulder, and his sons each have a piece of the Triforce.
Career in Radio and Work in Huntington
Clint attended Marshall University, where he worked with the campus radio station WMUL. After graduating, he worked in radio for 42 years, until retiring in 2017. In addition to his broadcasting work, he spent time as an adjunct professor at his alma mater.
Clint first got into theater after Justin was cast in a play in first grade. Since then, he performed in numerous plays and has even written plays of his own. He was one of the founding board members of the First Stage Theatre Company (in fact, he was the one who suggested the name).
Clint has been actively involved with several charities in the Huntington area, including St. Jude's and Adopt a Child. He was one of the founders and original board members for the Ronald McDonald House in Huntington.
Career in McElroy Podcasting
During the McElroy's brief Seeso series (also called My Brother, My Brother and Me), Clint performed the disclaimer (usually read on the podcast by Bob Ball). The intro sequence featured him dressed as a variety of characters, including an old timey theater attendant, a train conductor, and a fisherman.
Clint joined his sons again on their D&D and tabletop game comedy podcast The Adventure Zone as a regular, playing Merle Highchurch, Ned Chicane, Argonaut Keene, and Zoox Anthellae in the main seasons. He also DM'ed the between seasons pilot campaign Commitment which they played in the Fate system.
- He is the Bravest of dads. He fought twenty thousand mosquitoes that attacked his children. It is believed that the fight continues today.
- He once won a game of Clue in a single round.
- Clint is famous for cutting off a portion of his butt on a window screen and using a maxi pad as a bandage
- He also poured kitty litter and bleach down a drain and passed out for a few hours.
- This man told Justin McElroy that he had put his pet goldfish in the lake because it had grown tooooo big for its bowl WHEN IN FACT it was all just a cover up, for Clint had grown jealous of the goldfish and murdered it in cold blood, smothering it with a pillow. "This bowl ain't big enough for the two of us." The goldfish sneeringly replied its last words as Clint had crammed himself in the bowl with the now damp pillow. He chucked its carcass into the creek
- In actuality, the fish (named Bob Shubey) was frozen over but returned to life. Eventually he grew so large that Clint flushed him, but told Justin McElroy that he had let Bob Shubey go to live in the creek, which was apparently very polluted.
- Once put butter on a Pop Tart and just ate it right in front of his innocent children. They still haven't recovered completely.
- Froze himself in a steel coffin inside a block of ice for 48 hours to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House. People paid money to look at Clint through a hole, and he was able to pee, but not poop. In order to prevent himself from panicking, Clint was hypnotized by "a weird guy" in a hotel room beforehand. He has been claustrophobic ever since.
- Starred in The Time Belt and Peace on the Playground.
- "Suck Ol' Bub!" (Episode 45: The Loom)
- "Hey! This hat-wearing geekoboy(?) needs to get out of the way!" (Episode 109: Flapjack Nickelsack)
- "You guys stop fiddly-fartin' around back there!" (Episode 109: Flapjack Nickelsack)
References & Links
- Clint played Merle in The Adventure Zone
- Through the generosity of Maximum Fun listeners during the Maxfun Drive, this frail, old elderly man was able to retire from his job and now does The Adventure Zone full-time. Bless.
- Account appears to no longer exist as of October 2020
- Picture made by Matt Herron.
- Wonderful!, "69: The Billy Crystal Cube", 20:11
- recounted by Griffin in Episode 109: Flapjack Nickelsack
- Referenced in The Adventure Zone Episode 39 - The Crystal Kingdom Chapter 11.